Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am officially the proud owner of The Yahoo Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World.
Three guidelines for effective online writing:
1. Keep it short.
- Make sure your words, sentences, paragraphs, and pages are short! It’s a good idea to include bulleted lists for organization.
- Slim down your copy as if you’re making and brochure but for an online format.
2. Front-load your content.
- Put most important content in the upper-left area of the screen (this is where the eyes naturally go first).
- The most important elements of your content should be emphasized with headlines, boldface type and or other visual cues.
- Make sure to use keywords that people might search for.
3. Keep it simple.
- Only include 1-2 ideas per short paragraph.
- Use simple language that is easy to scan opposed to more technical and sophisticated terms.
…And that’s just the start of the book! I can’t even wait to get into more!
Do you have any of your own personal guidelines for effective writing?
Share with us in the comments below!